West Palm Beach, Fl. - Post positions have been drawn and the Greyhounds are set and ready to go for this Saturday afternoon's 80 th running of Palm Beach Kennel Club's $50,000 James W. Paul Three-Eighths Mile Derby.
The post time favorite will likely be Rader Racing Kennel's KB's Clear Rock . The "Rock" was the leading point earner in qualifying scoring three wins and one fourth-place finish. Breaking from the outside eight post, this spectacular rail racer may have his work cut out for him should a few of the other early speedsters in the final steal the early lead.
Other Derby superstars who may garner generous fan support include the well-positioned GMC Sheezajewel and the fantastic first-turn rusher Dynamic Trent .
As with any big race, there is a sentimental favorite. In this year's Derby, that honor goes to Kiowa Bonita Bet , who will be competing in her 136 th career race and second-middle distance championship, having been a finalist in the 2009 Derby. To put this into perspective, Bonita began her racing career while most of the other finalists were still pups in training or had not even been born.
The eight 2011 $50,000 James W. Paul Derby finalists in post position order:
1. GMC Sheezajewel (Lonesome Cry - WKC Lannie, Mountain)
2. Kiowa Bonita Bet (Flying Penske - Sol Bonita, Marsella Racing)
3. WW's Aunt Bea (Trent Lee - Aunt M, Rader Racing)
4. Dynamic Trent (Trent Lee - Gifted Whistler, Rader Racing)
5. WW's Kunina (Craigie Whistler - Its Reggae, Steve Gilster)
6. Sumwyse (Talbon - Kihara, North Shore Kennel)
7. WTD Joeseph (Maryville Rumble* - Jawa Princess L, Rader)
8. KB's Clear Rock (Lonesome Cry - BF Pina, Rader Racing)
Post time for Saturday afternoon's first race is 1 p.m. and for the $50,000 James W. Paul 3/8ths Mile Derby, in Race 12, approximately 4 p.m.
Palm Beach Kennel Club will also hold an evening racing performance with post time at 7 p.m.
This will be the 80 th running of the Derby, our "Oak" anniversary, and is one of the nations longest-running stake events.
The Three-Eighths Mile is named in honor of humanitarian, greyhound owner and dedicated supporter of greyhound adoption, James W. Paul.
Activities for this outstanding afternoon of championship Greyhound racing include:
* Free Admission!
* Taylor McNevin performs our National Anthem! (12:30 p.m.)
* The first 1,000 racing fans (age 18 and older) to enter the track will receive a coupon redeemable for a 2011 souvenir, Collectable Derby Glass , with a listing of all past Derby winners, courtesy of WPTV News Channel 5 . (You can pick up your Derby glass as you leave the track beginning after Race 6)
* WKGR's Jay Zeager will be here with games and prizes! Come try your luck in beating Jay at a quick hand of Poker! (First Floor, 12:30 - 2:30 p.m.)
* For the kids, Cookie The Clown will be on hand! (12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.)
* Prize Drawing! You could win a vacation for two at the Gaylord Palms Hotel in Orlando! (Entries in by Race 10, Drawing after Race 12)
* Greyhound Pet Representatives will be on hand to answer any questions you may have about adopting one of these loving retired racers!
Article courtesy of NGA News.