(See results at the link.)
All pups get second chance at Spring MeetDue to a relatively small number of entries (258), the NGA Board of Directors has approved a plan that will allow all qualified entrants to come back and run a second race on Thursday or Friday.
Once entrants in the regular stakes have been determined (i.e., Main, Flite I, Flite II, Borchers, Cooler and Warmer), the remainder of the 4th, 5th and 6th place greyhounds will be drawn, according to their age groups and divisions, for a series of consolation races on Thursday and Friday.
One intent is to get a second line on all pups and to allow a pup who had bad racing luck in Round 1 to once again show his or her talents during the Meet. This will give auction bidders on Friday and Saturday a better opportunity to gauge the true potential of each pup and bid accordingly.
Updates* A 13-length romp in the fastest time (30-flat) of the first day of the NGA Spring Meet reconfirmed SE's Tally Aspen as the star-pup thus far in the Meet's Track Stakes in Abilene.
* Owned by Steve Ward and Penny Wick, SE's Tally Aspen (Kiowa WW Brother-Time For A Party) was an impressive winner in both her schooling races, including a 29.88 in her second trial--the fastest schooling time of the week and the only time dipping under the 30-second barrier. Her victory Monday was in the Nov. 2 Stake.
* In the January Stake, Jon and Burton Arno captured three of the six qualifying rounds with pups from a litter by Yo My Mediator-Leprechaun*. Their winners were Bugsy Malone (30.63), Cinnabar (30.85) and Epicenter (30.39).
* Marty Tanner had two strong wins in the December Stake with littermates TK Top Flight (30.34) and TK Mad Money (30.20), both by Dodgem By Design-Rooftop Ladybug. Ken and Janet Allen also had two winners in that stake with littermates San Tan Lambert (30.49) and San Tan Quiktrip (30.76), out of TK Quick Strike-I'm Lovin it.
* Two of SE's Tally Aspen's littermates, SE's Sequoia and SE's Tali Willow, were winners in the Nov. 1 Stake, in times of 30.75 and 30.28 respectively. Another littermate, SE's Lakotah, won in the Nov. 2 and will face Tally Aspen in Thursday's finals.
* Racing resumes Tuesday with 30 races in the October and August/September stakes. Post time is 9 a.m.
* As part of the Meet's activities, the Hall Of Fame Benefit Dinner/Auction is also scheduled Tuesday, beginning at 6 p.m. at the museum.